Friday, November 18, 2005

What do you reread?

Nobel Laureate Francois Mauriac said, "If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he rereads."

The book I have read over and over again is "A Thread of Blue Denim" by Patricia Leimbach. This is a comfort book that takes me home. Patricia Leimbach was a teacher and farm wife from outside Vermilion, Ohio, which was close to my hometown of Huron. She wrote columns about her life as a farm wife for magazines and then started collecting them. My Aunt Gerry gave me an autographed copy of A Thread of Blue Denim when I was the Library Director in Huron. Patricia Leimbach spoke at the library, and she spoke at my mother's alumni party. I've used articles from her books for Readers Theater. She wrote two other books on the same theme, All My Meadows and Harvest of Bittersweet. The last one was written after her son died in an accident. Her husband died soon after.

But Patricia Leimbach's Ohio is also mine. And, her descriptions of her love of reading and her family life bring back memories. When I can't read anything else, I can return home with Patricia Leimbach.

1 comment:

libraryann said...

I reread Italo Calvino's If on a winter's night a traveler. It is different for me every time. It is also the book I buy most often because I am constantly giving it away to people and not insisting they return it. Strange behavior for a librarian but also very true to form. I want other people to read it and love it as much as I do. And if they do, I know they will want to keep it.
I must have purchased 6 copies already in my adult life.