Friday, September 08, 2006

Hornswoggled

Donis Casey's new mystery, Hornswoggled, is just as fascinating as the first book in the series, The Old Buzzard Had It Coming. Oklahoma life in 1913 comes alive in her books. Her attention to historic detail is wonderful, but it doesn't distract from the story. I loved Easter dinner for sixty-five. Canning vegetables hasn't changed in eighty years, as I know from watching my parents can.

In Alafair Tucker's life, family comes first. So she doesn't worry too much when her sons find the murdered body of the local barber's wife floating in the creek. She said the murder doesn't have anything to do with "me or mine." However, when her daughter, Alice, sets her cap for the widower, Alafair grows concerned. Once again, the mother of ten, flings herself into a murder investigation because it involves her family.

Hornswoggled is a mystery with surprising twists, reminiscent of Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. Readers will enjoy the return to Alafair's life, and her attempt to find a murderer.

Donis Casey's website is at www.doniscasey.com

Hornswoggled by Donis Casey. Poisoned Pen Press, c2006. ISBN 1590583094 (hardcover), 242p.

1 comment:

Julia Buckley said...

I had heard of Donis Casey, but for some reason I thought she was Scottish. This sounds really interesting, although I will have to go back and read the first book first. And I love the "Buzzard" title. There are so many books I want to read . . .

Thanks, Lesa!