Monday, July 23, 2007

This and That

Well, I finished the last Harry Potter book yesterday. And, I won't even try to summarize it, so I don't spoil it for anyone. All I'll say is that I was satisfied with the ending.

I'm moving on to other books now, and picking up where I left off in books I set aside for Harry.

The nicest part about being a librarian, and one of the fun parts of this blog, is the chance to talk about books. Over the weekend, I had someone email me, tell me what she liked in the way of mysteries, and ask for some additional suggestions. After I finished Harry, I emailed her back with a list of five authors she might like, and told her to get back to me after she read some, and tell me what she thought. I loved her response.

"I absolutely feel like a young girl on Christmas morning looking at a stack of presents. I'm checking the library web-site ASAP! Perhaps only another reader truly understands the joy of finding new books to read and new authors to get to know."

If you're reading this blog, you probably do understand the joy of new authors, new books, and that feeling of joy.

My wish for you today? That feeling of discovery that every book, not just Harry Potter, gives to those of us who love reading.

4 comments:

Joy said...

Absolutely know that feeling ... it's one of the best there is! :)

Lesa said...

I agree, Joy. Nothing like that feeling of anticipation and hope, that this book will be special.

Kay said...

Amen to all you said. One of the most fun parts of my job is suggesting new authors or new-to-them authors to patrons. I love having them come back to me and say they loved that book or author and could I suggest another. Best part of the job!

Lesa said...

You're a person after my own heart, Kay. I don't get to do as much of it as I used to, so yesterday was a pleasure.