Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Happy Birthday, Jane Smiley

Happy Birthday to author Jane Smiley. No, I've never met her, but I had a delightful
experience relating to her Pulitizer Prize winning novel, A Thousand Acres.

When I was the Library Manager on Captiva Island, I was asked to do a book talk at the Sanibel Community Center, and they asked me to talk about A Thousand Acres. I prepared well. I even read King Lear after discovering A Thousand Acres was a modern-day retelling of that story.

And, then when I arrived, they told me that Jane Smiley's mother, Fran, was planning to attend. Now, there's a terrifying thought! Have you done a book talk with the author's mother in attendance? It was actually so enjoyable. I discussed the book, and then Fran took over and answered questions about Jane's life. I think everyone in the audience enjoyed it.

So, Happy Birthday, Jane Smiley, and thank you.

4 comments:

Kay said...

I remember reading "A Thousand Acres", enjoying it very much, meaning to read more of her work, and never reading anything by her again. Did you see the movie? Happy birthday, Jane!

Lesa said...

I didn't even know there was a movie. I read Moo, but that was the only other one of her books that I read. I liked A Thousand Acres more.

Kay said...

The movie had Michelle Pfeiffer and Jessica Lange, Jason Robards and, I didn't remember this, Colin Firth.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Kay! I can just see that cast. Sounds like good casting. Thank you.