Monday, January 07, 2008

Book Challenge

In my last blog post of 2007, I mentioned that I read 164 books that year, and hoped to read 165 in 2008. Within a couple days, I heard from my niece, Elizabeth. Elizabeth is 9, and in the thrid grade. She challenged me, and said she was going to read 166. Her mother told her if she was going to do that, she had to keep track of her books.

I accepted Elizabeth's challenge, and sent her a purple notebook, with a matching pen. I told her not to worry how many books she actually read, but to have fun. I also told her that her great-grandmother kept track of her books, and her grandmother does. I've been keeping track of the books I've read for years.

I'm already losing. As of today, Elizabeth's read nine books this year, and I've only read three. And, one of the librarians at work reminded me that Elizabeth gets summer vacation, and I don't. I'm in trouble.

10 comments:

Joy said...

I loved this post! What a terrific tradition to pass on. :)

Happy Reading to you both!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Joy!

I'll probably never live it down in the family. (grin) That's OK.

Joy said...

Lesa, I'm not sure if you are aware, but I have commented back to you on the A ~ Z Challenge Blog.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Joy!

I'll get it right one of these times. (smile)

Les said...

What a fun challenge to share with your niece!! My daughter isn't much of a read (24 years old and far too connected with her laptop and cellphone), but maybe one of my nieces or my granddaughter will be interested in something like this when they get older. Have fun!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Les! I'm sure Elizabeth and I will have fun. I know someone who is planning to do this with her granddaughter. Elizabeth's book challenge might catch on.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Lesa

Be sure to listen to your own advice -- don't worry about the number you read, just have fun with it.

Lesa said...

I will have fun. Thanks! I'm just so pleased Elizabeth is a reader. Have to keep that in the family!

Elizabeth said...

i've read 11 books. How many have you read?

Lesa said...

I've read five, Elizabeth. I hope you read some good ones! I enjoyed the ones I read.

Love,
Aunt Lesa