Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Times-Picayune - The Reading Life

As newspapers across the country cut their book sections, it's a hopeful sign whenever a newspaper adds something. Let's hope that the New Orleans newspaper, The Times-Picayune, will be successful with their new Wednesday feature, The Reading Life. It debuted today.

Book editor Susan Larson welcomed readers to The Reading Life by saying they are beginning a shared adventure with their new Wednesday coverage about books, writers and everyday readers. Today's coverage includes an article about New Orleans writer Joshua Clark, a National Book Critics Circle nominee for his memoir, Heart Like Water: Surviving Katrina and Life in Its Disaster Zone. There are book reviews, listings of new books for the week, a local calendar of events, and an article on book clubs.

I can't say that I knew how The Times-Picayune covered books before, so I don't know if it's an improvement. I can say that anytime I see a newspaper promoting something called "The Reading Life," I'm excited. I'll be checking back on Wednesdays.

Larson said, "The reading life is more important to some of us than to others, depending on time and money and circumstance. But for all of us, the reading life is there, part of time passing." If you're reading this blog, then the reading life is probably important to you. You just might be interested in another view of The Reading Life.

2 comments:

Kay said...

I read recently that this was coming. I'm glad they are doing this and I wish them good luck. Wish we had something that extensive.

Lesa said...

I will say our newspaper, The Arizona Republic, does pretty good book coverage. It could always be better, but I'm glad we have it.

I hope it's popular, and the newspaper keeps it going.