Friday, March 28, 2008

My Husband, the Reader


Joy, one of the winners from a recent contest, emailed me today and said how much fun it is to receive books in the mail. She's right. No matter how many times I receive a book, or a box of books, it's always exciting. It reminded me that one reason I married my husband was because of his excitement when books arrived in a delivery.

I met Jim at the Huron Public Library in Ohio. Jim's a reader. He was in the library every few days to pick up a couple more books. We would talk about books, and he was always as excited about new books as I was. I let him come behind the desk when I opened new boxes of books, so he could see the new arrivals. I first realized how much I liked him when he went to Florida for the winter. I said to my staff, "I miss Jim Holstine. He's the only person who gets as excited about new books as I do."

Jim and I still spend evenings reading. When my father-in-law was alive, he would come out of his room, and say, "It sure is quiet in here." Jim's response was, "We got married to read."

Here's to everyone who takes pleasure in the arrival of a new book. Here's to you, Jim!

12 comments:

Kay said...

What a very nice story. I, too, love the new books that come in to the library, to my mailbox, to just about anywhere. Thanks for sharing with us and it sounds like you and Jim are perfectly matched!

Joy said...

I actually got excited when you mentioned that you let Jim come behind the desk to open up new boxes of books!!! :)

Lesa said...

Kay - I feel sorry for people when they say their husband doesn't read. Yes, we're perfectly matched. We don't read the same books, but we both get excited about new ones.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Joy, since your comment kicked off the story! Jim wanted me to tell you he was the ONLY one who got to come behind the desk. But, then he was the ONLY one who appreciated the boxes of books.

Joy said...

That Jim - he knows the way to a woman's heart. :)

(pretending he likes books - what a scam!)

LOL

Lesa said...

Some men just have a knack I guess. I knew a librarian who had been married for years to his high school sweetheart. He used to say if anything ever happened to her, and he wanted to date a librarian, he'd show up with a kitten in one hand and a box of chocolate in the other, and he knew one or the other would be good. He sure knew the library staff well!

Liviania said...

Beautiful story! Sadly, none of my librarians have never fallen in love with me. . . . sadly, none of my librarians are male.

My friends do have dozens of pictures of me and an ex sitting side-by-side reading. I love those pictures.

Lesa said...

Yes, that does make it more difficult, Livi, if you're looking for a male librarian at work!

Keep looking for that reader. It makes a world of difference.

Les said...

What a great story! I'm blessed to have a husband who loves to read, too. He generally reads nonfiction (history), thrillers and mysteries, but often times he'll read what I'm reading. Not women's fiction, but lots of contemporary fiction. We have such good chats about the books we read. Never a quiet moment at our dinner table, which is good since we're empty-nesters (unless you count Annie-dog!).

Lesa said...

Your husband sounds like mine, Les. Jim reads nonfiction - history, biography, physics, and thrillers. A little true crime. Do you know what we both read? Sports books!

Nonanon said...

That IS a great story, and I love the picture too. I would say you are lucky, but I'm pretty sure luck didn't have as much to do with it as your wide reading interests. :)

I met my husband working behind a library desk. We're a bit different than some couples, as he's the fiction reader in the family and I'm hardcore NF, but getting married to read is one of the best pleasures in life. Congratulations to you, and enjoy.

Lesa said...

Thank you! And, congratulations to you in meeting your husband at the library. When you're a reader, it's a perfect place to find someone who enjoys books.