Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The American Journey of Barack Obama

The American Journey of Barack Obama is the kind of high-quality photojournalism that Life Magazine is known for producing. If you're a fan of our President-Elect, or curious about his background, this book tells his story in essays and pictures.

The book is the story of Obama's journey from childhood through his nomination as the Democratic candidate for President. Then, the editors asked twelve thinkers and writers to examine and comment on the many facets of Obama. Writers include Bob Greene, Andrei Codrescu, and Fay Weldon. My favorite article was "Our Children's Crusade" by Melissa Fay Greene, about young people who never saw Obama as a different type of figure.

There are already a number of books out about President-Elect Obama, even his own, but it's hard to top the kind of photojournalism that Life excels in. It's a gorgeous gift possibility.

The American Journey of Barack Obama by Life Magazine Editors. Little, Brown & Company, ©2008. ISBN 9780316045605 (hardcover), 176p.

4 comments:

As the Pages Turn said...

Oh how I'd love to get my hands on this one to review...I bet it's great!

Lesa said...

It is a beautiful book, just what you'd expect from Life Magazine.

Jen said...

I'm hoping to pick a copy of this one up as well as the biography about his wife, Michelle. She fascinates me as well.

Lesa said...

Jen, I agree with you. I find Michelle just as fascinating. She's a strong, interesting woman. And, I'm waiting for a copy of the biography, too.