Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday's "Forgotten" Books - Miracle and Other Christmas Stories

Connie Willis' Miracle and Other Christmas Stories is so forgotten that I forgot where I put my copy. And, this is a very special book, so I do own my own copy.

Last week, when I discussed Peter Lovesey's Swing, Swing Together, I mentioned Connie Willis. Willis is known to science fiction fans as the winner of multiple Hugo and Nebula awards. She shows that her talent extends beyond science fiction with this special collection by an author who loves Christmas. She gives readers a romance, a creepy story of a man trapped in a toy store at Christmas, and, for those of us who love books, the story of a lonely bookstore clerk. Then there's my favorite story, "Inn." While preparing for the church's Christmas concert, a choir member answers the door to a young couple, who are lost, and only speak an unknown language. This unusual story with a time-travel twist lingers with me, year after year.

Somewhere in the treasures in my closet is this lost treasure, Miracle and Other Christmas Stories by Connie Willis. I'm going to dig it out before Christmas. If you're looking for something a little different, you might want to try this outstanding collection.

Connie Willis' website is http://www.sftv.org/cw

Miracle and Other Christmas Stories by Connie Willis. Bantam Books, pub date, 2000. ISBN 9780553580488 (paperback), 336p.

6 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Lesa. I should have made Christmas books the theme. See you on January 2nd, or whenever you get back to business.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Patti! Have a wonderful holiday. Enjoy family, friends, and, hopefully, some time for books!

Cathy said...

Another book to add to my wish list. Thanks, Lesa, and Merry Christmas!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Cathy! Always willing to make someone's pile of books a little larger. (grin) Merry Christmas, Cathy! With your love of Christmas, it should be a happy one at your house.

Patti O said...

I LOVE this book!!! The Christmas after I read it, I gave it to family and friends at Thanksgiving so that they could read it during the holiday season!!! Great choice!!!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Patti! I love it, too. Just wish I could find my copy.