Sunday, March 29, 2009

Nominated for Best Reviewer!

I'm hunting and pecking on the computer because of the splint on my finger on my left hand, but the following news was too exciting to wait until I get this darn thing off my hand. I was jusr nominated in the category of Best Reviewer for the 2009 Spinetingler Awards. These awards are given out by Spinetingler Magazine.

I'm very surprised and honored to be in the company of some outstanding reviewers.

Best Reviewer:
• Ali Karim
• Larry Gandle
• Lesa Holstine
• Karen Chisholm
• Glenn Harper

And, you can vote. According to Sandra Ruttan, editor of Spinetingler Magazine, "Winners in each category will be determined by public vote. Voting will be open until April 25, 2009. Please follow this link to cast your vote in any or all of the categories, to see the covers nominated and to follow the links to the short stories."

Here is the full list of nominees.

New Voice:
• Sharp Teeth, by Toby Barlow (Harper)
• The Price of Blood, by Declan Hughes (Morrow)
• Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, by John McFetridge (Harcourt)
• Borderlands, by Brian McGilloway (Minotaur Books)
• Go With Me, by Castle Freeman Jr. (Steerforth Press)
• The Crazy School, by Cornelia Read (Grand Central Publishing)
• Who Is Conrad Hirst?, by Kevin Wignall
• Crimson Orgy, by Austin Williams (Borderlands Press)

Rising Star:
• When Will There Be Good News?, by Kate Atkinson (Black Swan)
• No More Heroes, by Ray Banks (Polygon)
• Money Shot, by Christa Faust (Hard Case Crime)
• The Shadow Year, by Jeffrey Ford (Morrow)
• Savage Night, by Allan Guthrie (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
• A Nail Through the Heart, by Timothy Hallinan (Morrow)
• Empire of Lies, by Andrew Klavan (Harcourt)
• Victory Square, by Olen Steinhauer (Minotaur Books)

Legend:
• Hit and Run, by Lawrence Block (Morrow)
• Nothing to Lose, by Lee Child (Delacorte Press)
• Chasing Darkness, by Robert Crais (Simon & Schuster)
• Leather Maiden, by Joe R. Lansdale (Knopf)
• The Given Day, by Dennis Lehane (Morrow)
• Dooley Takes the Fall, by Norah McClintock (Red Deer Press)
• A Darker Domain, by Val McDermid (Harper)
• Salt River, by James Sallis (Walker & Co.)

Graphic Novel:
• 100 Bullets, by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso
• Criminal, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips
• Femme Noir, by Christopher Mills and Joe Staton
• Hawaiian Dick, by B. Clay Moore and Steven Griffin
• Incognegro, by Mat Johnson and Warren Pleece
• Scalped, by Jason Aaron and R.M. Guera

Best Editor:
• Ben LeRoy, Bleak House
• Charles Ardai, Hard Case Crime
• Neil Nyren, Putnam
• John Schoenfelder, Thomas Dunne

Best Reviewer:
• Ali Karim
• Larry Gandle
• Lesa Holstine
• Karen Chisholm
• Glenn Harper

Best Publisher:
• Bleak House
• Hard Case Crime
• Soho Press

Special Services to the Industry:
• Declan Burke, Crime Always Pays
• Barbara Franchi, Reviewing the Evidence
• J. Kingston Pierce, The Rap Sheet
• John and Ruth Jordan, Crimespree Magazine
• Peter Rozovsky, Detectives Beyond Borders
• Ruth Jordan and Judy Bobolik, Bouchercon 2008

Best Cover:
• At the City’s Edge, by Marcus Sakey (St. Martin’s Minotaur)--cover design by The DesignWorks Group
• Death Was the Other Woman, by Linda L Richards (St. Martin’s Minotaur)--cover design by David Baldeosignh Rotstein
• Empty Ever After, by Reed Farrel Coleman (Bleak House)--cover design by 2Faced Designs
• Fifty to One, by Charles Ardai (Hard Case Crime)--cover design by Cooley Design Lab
• Mad Dogs, by Brian Hodge (Cemetery Dance)--cover design by Jill Bauman
• Sharp Teeth, by Toby Barlow (Harper)--cover design by Leah Carlson-Stanisic

Best Short Story on the Web:
• “Cold Rift,” by Sandra Seamans (from Crooked)
• “Fruits,” by Steve Mosby (from Spinetingler)
• “Hard Bite,” by Anonymous-9 (from Beat to a Pulp)
• “Lenny and Earl Go Shooting Off Their Mouths,” by Ray Morrison (from Word Riot)
• “Random Acts of Fatherhood,” by Robert Pesa (from Darkest Before the Dawn)
• “Red Hair and Black Leather,” by Jordan Harper (from ThugLit)
• “She Watches Him Swim,” by Claude Lalumiere (from Back Alley)
• “Sisters Under the Skin,” by Naomi Johnson (from A Twist of Noir)
• “They Take You,” by Kyle Minor (from Plots With Guns)
• “Wishing on Whores,” by John Weagly (from Thieves Jargon)

So, if you'd like to vote, vote here.

22 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Lesa, that is wonderful news! Congratulations. You definitely deserve the title. :-)

I'm headed over to vote now. I'm glad to see Toby Barlow's book made it on the list. I really liked Sharp Teeth.

Corey Wilde said...

Congratulations on the nomination and good luck in the voting.

Cathy said...

Congratulations, Lesa! I'm headed on over to vote right now!

Lesa said...

Thanks, everyone. I hope the voting works. Jim received a response sayng he'd already voted. I contacted Sandra because I seem to remember a problem last year as well. Hope not!

meen said...

Congratulations, Lesa, a well deserved nomination I must say.
My vote (for you, of course) has already been placed, and wish you a lot of luck.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Marleen! I appreciate it!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Congratulations! I'll certainly add a vote!

Kay said...

I enjoyed voting for you and for some of the other categories. Congratulations on the nomination! It is well deserved!

Pat R. said...

Hope you win! You deserve to win.

Lesa said...

Thank you! I voted for some of my favorites on that list as well. I still can't believe I was nominated.

windycindy said...

Way to go! Best wishes and you can count on my vote! Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Robert McCarty said...

Congratulations. I hope you win.
Robert Mc

Kaye said...

We just knew your fabulousness would be world recognized eventually. Congrats to you. I am rushing right over there to vote for you. You certainly deserve it! Your reviews are fantastic.

Joy said...

Congrats on the nomination, Lesa! Woo Hoo!!!

Lesa said...

Thank you! Now I understand what people mean when they say it's an honor to be nominated. I look at that list of nominees, and I have a hard time believing it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

congrats and hope you're feeling better.

Lesa said...

Thanks Patti. Just impatient to get to the doctor's, hoping to get the splint off.

Clea Simon said...

Just catching up (finally got through my "Shades of Grey" proofs). CONGRATULATIONS!!

Clea Simon said...

Oh, I just voted! It seemed to work.

Lesa said...

That's Clea! Congratulations on finishing the proofs Shades of Grey!

Pat Browning said...

Congratulations,Lesa! I just voted for you.

Pat Browning

Lesa said...

Thank you, Pat! I really appreciate the votes. That says, more than anything, that people like what I'm doing.