Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sleepwalking in Daylight by Elizabeth Flock



My review of Elizabeth Flock's Sleepwalking in Daylight appears in the March 15 issue of Library Journal. It's reprinted here, with permission.

Flock, Elizabeth. Sleepwalking in Daylight. Mira: Harlequin. Mar. 2009. c.352p. ISBN 978-0-7783-2513-0. $21.95. F

"Do you ever want to walk away from your life?" is the question that hangs over Flock's (Me & Emma) latest novel. Samantha Friedman's marriage is slowly eroding from lack of interest, something she suspected as early as her honeymoon. The adoption of Cammy, a two-year-old crack baby, and the subsequent birth of twin sons failed to improve the marriage. Samantha's friendship with a married man and her self-absorption in her own problems blind her to her daughter's cries for help. Now 16, Cammy feels unwanted and unloved, and turns to drugs and sex. This is a story that can only end in heartbreak. Unfortunately, it is not a particularly original one. With its language, sex, and drugs, this dreary tale is recommended only for those libraries that need additional books for readers who enjoy "problem fiction," as popularized by Oprah's Book Club picks.—Lesa Holstine, Glendale P.L., AZ

Copyright © 2009 Cahners Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. Reprinted with permission.

10 comments:

SmallWorld at Home said...

Great review! I liked "Me and Emma" but I think I'll not bother with this one.

Lesa said...

Thanks for your comment. Frankly, this was a depressing book with the mother so wrapped up in herself that she couldn't see her daughter's needs.

Les said...

Definitely not my cuppa tea! Thanks for the honest review, Lesa.

Kay said...

Hmmm...not for me I think. Sounds like it would just make me angry. Give me a nice murder instead. :-)

Joe Barone said...

Very helpful review. If I were a librarian it would clearly tell me whether or not I would want to order the book.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Les. I know most of mine are quite positive, but, that's because when I read for myself, I don't finish the book if I'm not happy with it.

Lesa said...

I'm with you, Kay. I'd rather have a nice murder than a tragedy that the mother is too preoccupied to see.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Joe. We have to have them nice and succinct for Library Journal. I edit and edit until it reaches the size they want. Hopefully, it then gives enough information for a librarian to make a decision.

Linda said...

I respectfully disagree with your review, and hope that libraries do plan to buy this book, despite your review.

I loved this book, and couldn't put it down until I had finished reading it. Having grown up in a family similar to the family portrayed in the book, I found this book to be very realistic, and insightful. Yes, it was sad, and I cried at the end, but sadness is a part of life.

I also read Me and Emma, and loved that book too, but I think Sleepwalking in Daylight is even better.

See amazon.com for the wonderful reviews for Sleepwalking in Daylight.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Linda. I appreciate your honest review of the book, and your referral to Amazon so others can read a different opinion from mine. Thanks for taking the time to write!