Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sunday Salon - Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof by Blaize Clement

Blaize Clement's pet sitter character, Dixie Hemingway, is a survivor, although she's a troubled woman. She lost her job as a deputy in Sarasota County, Florida, after she broke down following the tragic death of her husband and daughter. She turned to pet sitting, and, in the course of earlier books, she struggled to cope with her life, and other people. The animals, and her brother and his partner, have helped to get her through. In Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof, she just might be ready to take the next step in adjusting to life.

Dixie's first step is to reach out to a friend. She likes Laura Halston when she first meets her, and thinks she's made a connection. Laura tells her she's hiding from an abusive husband, and Dixie believes her. But, when Laura is murdered, Dixie finds that everything she believed is wrong. Dixie is forced to examine her own behavior, when she realized she fell so easily into Laura's story. How can she trust her own judgement about men, deciding between two sexy men, a lawyer and a homicide cop? As Dixie herself says, "There was absolutely no way I could have known that my chance meeting with Laura Halston would one day haunt me, or that knowing her would ultimately make me question myself in a way I'd never done before."

Blaize Clement's mysteries continue to be some of my favorites. Who can resist the wonderful Siesta Key setting? Clement's characters are likable, from Dixie, to Lieutenant Guidry, to Dixie's brother Michael and his partner, Paco. This book introduces another marvelous one, Pete Madeira, a former circus clown. There's always humor, and, of course, the pets. And, so far, Clement has remembered the rule, "Don't kill of a pet."

Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof is another enjoyable, solid entry in this series. It's a book that allows Dixie to continue to grow as a character. Dixie's job allows her access to so many different types of people and households. Let's hope this pet sitter continues to stumble on crime for quite a long time.

Blaize Clement's website is www.BlaizeClement.com


Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof by Blaize Clement. St. Martin's Minotaur, ©2009. ISBN 9780312369552 (hardcover), 288p.

8 comments:

Kathrin said...

Lesa, there are some awards waiting for you on my blog :-)
Love, Kathrin

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kathrin! That's so nice of you. I'll check them out.

Yvonne said...

I love this series!

BTW, I gave you an award.

http://socratesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2009/03/sisterhood-award.html

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lesa said...

Thank you, Yvonne! It's a good morning. Now's the time to check out those awards. Thanks!

Literary Feline said...

I'm looking forward to reading this series. I've heard great things about it. Being the animal and mystery lover that I am, how can I resist?

Lesa said...

Hi Wendy,

You have to read this series sometime if you're an animal lover. Blaize Clement writes the kind of mysteries all animal lovers would like, but they are definitely not cutesy ones with talking animals.

Frequent Reader said...

Hello all,
While I surf blog , i found a all new trick in http://pic-memory.blogspot.com/

Vistor can comment and EMBED VIDEO YOUTUBE , IMAGE. Showed Immediately!
EX : View Source.
http://pic-memory.blogspot.com/2009/02/photos-women-latin-asian-pictu...
(add photos and videos to Blogspot comments).
Written it very smart!
I wonder how they do it ? Anyone know about this , please tell me :D
(sr for my bad english ^_^)

email: ya76oo@ya76oo.com
thanks.