Friday, April 23, 2010

Changes by Jim Butcher

There were only four books in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files when I started reading the series. I loved the books, and whipped through them when I read them. However, Changes, the twelfth book, is one to be savored for every detail of Harry Dresden's tortured life. Who knows how long Harry can survive everything that is thrown at him? Changes is the best book in the series.

It truly is a time of changes for the only wizard in the Chicago yellow pages. Susan Rodriguez shows up on Harry's doorstep, asking for his help. It seems Harry's ex-lover, who vanished in South America after vampires of the Red Court infected her with blood lust, has a daughter. That little girl, Harry's daughter, has been kidnapped by Arianna Ortega, Duchess of the Red Court. Susan and Harry both know that Maggie is a powerful tool for Arianna to use against Harry, the one Arianna blames for the death of her husband.

Harry Dresden's fight against the Red Court is now personal. But, as he tries to gather allies, he finds even the White Council of wizards is too preoccupied to help. And, someone always seems just one step ahead of him, as he searches for a way to rescue one little girl, held captive in Mexico. As buildings blow up around him, vampires attack, and Dresden knows he and a small group of friends might not come out of this adventure alive. They may have to strike at the Red Court on its own territory. Finally, Harry Dresden is willing to make some deals he's never been willing to do, in order to save one little girl.

Changes is an appropriate title for a story that will forever change Harry Dresden. With the knowledge he has a daughter, he's willing to do anything to protect her. That urgency brings actions that we've never seen from the principled wizard. And, Butcher skillfully pulls the strings in this complicated story of a complex man. If Harry Dresden survives this ordeal, he'll never be the same. Changes is one more outstanding book in this urban fantasy masterpiece of a series.

Jim Butcher's website is www.Jim-Butcher.com

Changes by Jim Butcher. Penguin Group (USA), ©2010. ISBN 9780451463173 (hardcover), 448p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book

12 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I love books where the protagonist is changing and facing internal conflict along with the external conflict. Sounds like a good book!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

Fantastic book, Elizabeth, but one with a shocking ending. My sister told me I need to call her son and talk about it. I'm doing that tomorrow.

BPL Ref said...

You really have me looking forward to Changes. I started reading Dresden after the show on SciFi and the comments on Dorothy L. I did a review of the series awhile back and I think I noted that Butcher is stretching a bit.. . I think things but sometimes don't write them. One book earlier I thought he was going to make some really big changes in characters' lives but he sort of hit the "reset" button for Harry and Murphy. "Turn Coat" did get me the idea that he's now more willing to shake things up a bit for good. Isn't it exciting to see a writer grow?

Now you have me intrigued with the shocking ending. . .

Jeanne

Lesa said...

Oh, Jeanne,

He really shakes things up this time. Can't wait to hear what you think. And, I'm definitely calling my nephew this weekend. I can't call him at night. By the time I get settled in at home, the time difference makes it too late to call. But, he'll hear from me this weekend, so we can discuss that ending.

Kris said...

Wow - 12..I've only read the first. Looks like I have at least 11 more to look forward too.

Lesa said...

Did you like the first one, Kris? It totally hooked me, and I raced through the next ones.

Beth Hoffman said...

Do you know I have never read an urban fantasy? But I have to say that I think I just might enjoy giving it a try.

Terrific review, Lesa!

Lesa said...

Ooooh. Try the first Dresden File book, Beth. It's called Storm Front. Loved it!

Beth Hoffman said...

Thanks for the tip, Lesa. I will!

Kris said...

Lesa - I did enjoy it, it was a great book. I've just been rather lazy about getting the 2nd in the series and have to many other books that I already own...it's on my wish list though! The author lives in my state and does book signings when new books come out, I'm hoping to get to the next one and then I'll probably buy a couple so I can get them signed and of course read them.

Lesa said...

I can't wait to see if you like it, Beth.

Lesa said...

Well, then you already know if you want to devote time to them, Kris, so I don't need to push you to try Jim Butcher's book.