Monday, April 12, 2010

Detectives Around the World - Steven F. Havill's Posadas County Mysteries

When Jen Forbus asked me to participate in DETECTIVES AROUND THE WORLD theme week, I immediately jumped at the chance to talk about Steven F. Havill's Posadas County Mysteries. I had missed this author, and his books, and only discovered them when I received one to review for Mystery News. And, with Left Coast Crime 2011 to be held in Santa Fe, it seemed appropriate to talk about New Mexico. But, the first book in the series, Heartshot, shows this certainly isn't the same New Mexico as we'll see in Santa Fe.

Posadas County, New Mexico is a border county with a small population. But, it's a large enough county to cause problems for the sheriff's department. When a car accident kills five teens, Undersheriff Bill Gastner reports to the scene. When $150,000 worth of cocaine is found in the car, he calls for his best detective, Estelle Reyes.

Gastner is over sixty, overweight, and smokes too much. But, he's totally committed to his job, and he and Reyes won't quit until they find the person behind the drugs. But, suddenly, they have two more deaths on their hands. Gastner is determined to restore peace, and find a killer, or die trying.

It's refreshing to read a police procedural in which the department works together, and respects each other. In many books, it wouldn't come as a surprise to find the sixty-year-old white male cop who doesn't like the Hispanic female deputy. Havill's characters respect each other, and work together to solve crimes. This is a satisfying series for those of us who love interesting, well-developed characters, a large number of books in which to read about those characters, and fascinating plots.

If you love good police procedurals, you won't want to miss Steven F. Havill's Heartshot, or the other fifteen books in the series.

Heartshot by Steven F. Havill. Poisoned Pen Press, published 2000. ISBN 9781890208295 (paperback), 208p.

*****
Check out the other blogs participating in DETECTIVES AROUND THE WORLD. Jen has links to all of them, along with information about the scavenger hunt, here.

18 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm like you--I like reading non-dysfunctional police procedurals every once in a while! I'll check this one out. :)
Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Jen Forbus said...

Lesa,

Thanks for a great look at New Mexico. I knew this state would be in good hands with you and boy was I right. I've not read Havill, but I'm adding him to my list. Your review is making me think of Johnson's Walt Longmire gang. That's certainly a good thing!

Looking forward to the other fun stuff you have to share about New Mexico and Steven Havill! :-)

Lesa said...

I really like Steven Havill's police procedurals, Elizabeth, and I know I turned another reader on to them. She read all of the books.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Jen. And, I have Walt Longmire's first book here at home, so I can meet his gang. It's just a big TBR pile right now. I hope everyone has fun with DATW!

L.J. Sellers said...

First I was drawn to the cover of the book, then you mentioned the 15 others in the series. Terrific. Thanks for a great review.

bermudaonion said...

I always love finding great new series to explore - now I need to find the time to explore them!

Tribute Books said...

Thanks for the review.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, L.J. Don't you love finding a new series with enough books to keep you happy for a while? And, I really like Jen's DATW.

Lesa said...

Kathy,

And, if you check out the link to Jen's site today, you might find all kinds of new series.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Tribute Books.

Christine said...

Thank you for the intro to Havill's series, Lesa!

Just as it did for Jen, your review brought to mind Craig Johnson's series for me. Hope you enjoy that series as much as we do.

Lesa said...

I have the feeling I'm going to like Craig Johnson's series. I heard him speak in Tucson, and he was a terrific speaker, Christine. And, since you're both telling me Havill's series reminds you of Johnson's, I think I'm in for a treat!

Kay said...

I remember that you've talked about this author before. I need to see if my library has this first book. Thanks for the reminder, Lesa! I'm loving Jen's creative Detective event. Isn't she great??

Inside A Book said...

What a great introduction. Darn you though, don't you KNOW how tall my TBR pile is?!?!? My cats have learned to stay far away from them, they might fall over and kill one of them!

You do your job so well! I've been thinking of you and I'm hoping that you're doing well. Please know that I still send warm thoughts your way. I'm hoping to run into you at the Poisoned Pen soon!

Thanks again....

Lesa said...

Jen's Detectives Around the World was a great idea, Kay. She is great!

Lesa said...

Keep the cats away from those piles! I don't want to be responsible for the death of a cat.

I am doing fine. I have friends that let me talk about Jim, which really helps. I hope to see you at the Poisoned Pen, too!

Beth F said...

Everyone always raves about this series. Sound like I'd better give them a chance.

Lesa said...

These are really good police procedurals, Beth. Just satisfying books.