Monday, April 19, 2010

Glazed Murder by Jessica Beck

If you're hungry, now is not the time to read about Jessica Beck's Glazed Murder. If you're not hungry for a donut and a cup of coffee after reading the first in the Donut Shop mystery, you're a stronger person than me. (And, I don't even drink coffee.)

It was so early in the morning that Suzanne Hart, owner of Donut Hearts, was probably one of the few people awake in April Springs, North Carolina. She was making donuts at 2 a.m., when someone dumped a body on her doorstep, the body of a friend, banker Patrick Blaine. And, Suzanne feared the killer might have seen her in the light from her shop.

Since the local police chief isn't particularly fond of Suzanne, and she doesn't know the attractive state police officer working the murder case, Suzanne is a little uneasy. When she realizes that her own life might be in danger, she starts her own investigation. Despite protests from her mother and the police, Suzanne and a couple friends take matters into their hands. Their investigation uncovers money problems, business problems, and women problems for the banker Suzanne thought she knew.

Glazed Murder marks the solid debut for a new series. Sometimes it's hard to accept an amateur sleuth poking around in an investigation. In this case, Suzanne feels threatened, and the local and state police don't trust each other. It seems a natural move for the donut shop owner to take action to protect herself.

Beck provides readers with recipes, humor, interesting characters, a hard-working sleuth, and keeps readers guessing to the end. Glazed Murder is an appetizing treat, hopefully, a taste of more mysteries to come.


Glazed Murder by Jessica Beck. St. Martin's Press, ©2010. ISBN 9780312946104 (paperback), 301p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - I requested this ARC from the publisher, in order to review it.

20 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like a winner! I'd imagine that a doughnut store owner would also be able to get lots of info from the police! And I like the fact that the sleuth has good motivation. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Mary said...

I agree with Elizabeth - Sounds like a winner :) Adding it to my list!

Lesa said...

You're right, Elizabeth. And, she can get a lot of information from a retired cop, who is a friend. The motivation was what impressed me. So many times, the amateur sleuth doesn't seem to have good motivation.

Lesa said...

I hope you enjoy it, Mary!

Jeanne C. said...

This one is on my TBR list!

Lesa said...

I don't know how tall your TBR pile is, Jeanne, but I hope you get to it soon. Don't read it while you're hungry, though!

Lover of Books said...

I see this book everywhere in online bookstores. I may have to add it to my wish list. :) Sounds like a fantastic book!

Krista

Lesa said...

Now, Krista. I would say a good book, not fantastic. But, it was certainly a satisfying one.

Dru said...

I've read it and loved this book. It's on my keeper shelf.

Lesa said...

I'm glad you loved it, Dru. Maybe I was wrong in warning Krista that it was good, but not fantastic.

Kay said...

I'm looking forward to reading this one. Just that big donut on the front.....mmmmm. I don't even eat donuts anymore. LOL

Lesa said...

Like me, with coffee, Kay. But, I think you're going to enjoy the book anyways. (smile)

Ingrid King said...

I love food-themed mysteries. What's not to love :-)!

Lesa said...

I'm with you, Ingrid. What's not to love?

bermudaonion said...

I'm sure the book would make me hungry - the cover alone makes me want to go to Krispy Kreme.

Kris said...

Sounds great...I'll be sure to read only when I'm not hungry.

Lesa said...

I get that, Kathy. Fortunately, our book club met at the library today, and they always bring doughnuts, so I had my fix.

Lesa said...

Kris,

Good idea to read it when you're not hungry.

Kaye said...

I've been seeing this all over Goodreads and it sounds great from all the positive reviews.

Lesa said...

Kaye,

I'm glad there are positive reviews on Goodreads. I hope you like it, if you get a chance to read it.