Monday, April 26, 2010

Hannah's List by Debbie Macomber

Once again, bestselling author Debbie Macomber has a hit on her hands. Hannah's List is warm and pitch-perfect. Fans won't want to put it down once you meet Dr. Michael Everett, his brother-in-law, Ritchie, and the soon-to-be women in Michael's life.

Michael Everett hasn't slept well in a year, hasn't eaten well, and spends long days at his job as a pediatrician. His brother-in-law, Ritchie, knows that when he hands Michael a letter from his deceased wife, Hannah, on the one year anniversary of her death. When Hannah knew she was dying of ovarian cancer, she wrote Michael a letter, telling him he had to get on with his life. Then, she shocked the man who loved her, by telling him she wanted him to marry again, and giving him the names of three women who she thought might fit the bill.

Michael's angry. No one, even Hannah, can tell him when it's time to stop grieving. But, he realizes he did stop living, and he decides he will at least call the women. Hannah suggested her cousin, Winter, a chef who owns a shop on Blossom Street, Leanne Lancaster, Hannah's oncology nurse, and Macy Roth, a part-time model who made Hannah laugh. Although Michael might not be ready, and brings the ghost of Hannah to a new relationship, each of Hannah's choices also has their own baggage.

As usual, Debbie Macomber has written a charming, relevant story. Her characters don't have easy lives, as they cope with everything from cancer deaths to Afghanistan and abusive relationships. However, if you're a fan of Debbie Macomber's, you know there will be the promise of a happy ending. Macomber's latest novel is just as delightful as any of her other books, with characters to root for, hoping they'll find happiness. Hannah's List doesn't disappoint.

Debbie Macomber's website is www.DebbieMacomber.com

Hannah's List by Debbie Macomber. MIRA, ©2010. ISBN 9780778327806 (hardcover), 416p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - I picked up my ARC in the review room in the library.

12 comments:

Mary said...

Sounds like typical Macomber - we know how it'll probably end but she makes the journey a good read. Nice review. She's going to be at a book store near me this week. I'll try to get there.

Kay said...

I'm going to read this one this week I hope. Got to finish my current read and then finish my mystery book group read. Then I'll get to it. I love Debbie Macomber's books. Sometimes a little sweet, but after a gritty mystery, that's usually what I need.

Lesa said...

It is a typical Macomber, Mary. You can even tell, early on, which woman Michael will end up with, but that's OK. She does make the journey a good read, as you said. Have fun, if you get to see her!

Lesa said...

I don't know about you, Kay, but I definitely appreciate something a little sweet now and then. I like Debbie Macomber for that reason.

Mason Canyon said...

I enjoy how Debbie Macomber ties some of her books together. Like using Winter from Blossom Street in this one. Always enjoy her books for a cozy, warm-feeling read.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Lesa said...

Very, very smart of her to tie those books together. Blossom Street readers will be interested in picking up this book, even though it isn't a "Blossom Street" book. It does give you a warm, relaxed feeling to read this book.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I always enjoy Debbie Macomber's books and this sounds like yet another winner! I'll look forward to reading "Hannah's List."

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

It is another winner, Elizabeth. If you're already a fan, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Kris said...

I just love her Blossom Street series and it sounds like this one is just as good.

Lesa said...

It is, Kris. I've read the Blossom Street books, and I was very satisfied with this book.

Ingrid King said...

I always enjoy Debbie Macomber's books. I especially loved the Blossom Street series. This one sounds like it will be fun, too.

Lesa said...

This is a fun one, Ingrid. Wait until you meet Macy!