Thursday, April 29, 2010

Mint Juleps, Mayhem, and Murder by Sara Rosett

I've been following Sara Rosett's Mom Zone Mysteries since the first one, Moving is Murder. Her first one showed promise. It was a pleasure to read about a mother, an amateur sleuth, who didn't neglect her children in the course of an investigation. The third book took Ellie Avery, an Air Force wife out of her comfort zone, and it was slightly disappointing. But, Rosett is at the top of her game in the fifth book, Mint Juleps, Mayhem, and Murder. Even if you've never read one of the books, you can pick this one up, with the promise of a riveting traditional mystery.

Ellie Avery is an Air Force wife with a busy life. Between her husband, Mitch, her two children, her part-time business organizing spaces, and her involvement with other military wives, she hardly has time to breathe. Now that they're stationed it Georgia, their lives are even busier since she and Mitch can host his family reunion, fifty competitive Avery family members. And Mitch and Ellie think his cousin, Dan, was lucky to collapse during a jog the day of the reunion. He could have been a victim of a gunshot, because he fell just as everyone heard a gunshot.

Dan was luckier than anyone knew. When Mitch's commander, Colonel Lewis Pershall, is found dead on the golf course, Ellie feels sorry for his wife, Denise. But, Denise has suspicions, and she draws Ellie into an investigation, asking her to check on a couple people. Ellie's investigations don't go far, though, before Mitch has a string of accidents, a leaf blower that backfires, a blown tire. Mitch always worried about Ellie while she investigated cases. Now, Ellie's worried as Mitch tries to watch his back, while trying to discover why he's a target.

Rosett has grown quite skillful at intermingling the Averys' family life with Ellie's cases. This latest book includes base politics, family life, and crime investigations. And, it has the added depth of a case that's threatening Mitch. There's the added pressure of the beginning of kindergarden for their oldest child. Rosett never forgets that Ellie Avery is a wife and mother. Rosett's Ellie Avery mysteries are successful because of those complicated issues that work well together. Mint Juleps, Mayhem, and Murder is the most successful yet.

Sara Rosett's website is www.sararosett.com

Mint Juleps, Mayhem, and Murder by Sara Rosett. Kensington Books, ©2010. ISBN 9780758226839 (Hardcover), 272p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Sara Rosett, the author, sent me a review copy, in hopes I would review it.

16 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

You know this one will appeal to me! I love Southern settings. Wondering if this was set at Fort Benning? That was my birthplace. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

Elizabeth,

I'm not sure Fort Benning was actually mentioned in the book, or any actual base, for that matter. Between a Southern setting and a military base, you should be all set.

Kay said...

I think this is a very fun series. I'm a couple of books behind, but I want to get caught up. I'll be on the lookout for this one, Lesa. This series is a good "mom" one with the twist of dealing with the military and moves and such. I think that the author is well versed in all these things because she is a military wife herself, right?

Lesa said...

Yes, Kay, Sara Rosett is a military wife. And, her character deals with the military, moves, and her children. It's what I appreciate about the series. Her character, Ellie, doesn't forget she has children and a husband for half the book so she can solve a mystery. The family is integral to the plot, and she's as careful as she can be because of her family.

Sara said...

Hi Lesa,
Glad you enjoyed the book! I certainly had fun writing it. It was nice to switch things around and have Mitch involved in the sleuthing. And since Elizabeth asked...the setting is a fictionalized version of Warner Robins GA. We were stationed there for about four years.

Kaye Barley said...

I'm not familiar with this series, but this sounds a delight. And what a gorgeous cover!
Thanks, Lesa!

Lesa said...

Thanks for answering the question about the base, Sara. I enjoyed Mitch's involvement in the sleuthing (probably more than Ellie did!).

Lesa said...

It is a gorgeous cover, isn't it, Kaye? I like this series, with a military wife as the sleuth.

Kris said...

Sounds like a promising series, thanks for the review Lesa, I think I'll add it to my wish list.

Audrey said...

Love a great mystery and your review has peeked my interest in Sara's book. You might also like a new crime/mystery book that just came out called, "The Ovary Wars." I found it to be a very thought provoking and engaging read. You should check it out!

Tina said...

As a military wife (19 moves in 25 years)I'm looking forward to delving into this series. I must tell you tho, I'm going to have to send up the white flag soon. Every time I visit your blog, my TBR pile grows. At least, now that we're 'retired military' we at least don't have to pack up all the books and tote them around the world anymore.

Thanks for always giving us great reading ideas.

Lesa said...

Kris, I really like Ellie and her family. I hope you enjoy the books!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Audrey,

I'll look for it. And, I hope you like Sara Rosett's books.

Lesa said...

Tina,

You're going to like this series, since you've been there. Darn! I don't want to see you run up the white flag. I want you to continue to come back and find books that will interest you.

cindy.maher said...

Sara, if you're reading this, two words:
BELEN ECHANDIA!!

Lesa said...

Cindy,

I had to look up Belen Echandia to see what it was. Gorgeous purses! A little out of my price range, but just gorgeous!