Saturday, April 10, 2010

Perfect on Paper by Maria Murnane

"Life has its ups and downs right? Honey, if you're talking about my weight and my bank account, the unfortunate answer is yes, in that order." "Afraid that your childhood will haunt you forever? Honey, it will. Now get over it." If you like Honey Notes, you're going to love Perfect on Paper: The (Mis)Adventures of Waverly Bryson by Maria Murnane.

On the surface, Waverly Bryson seems to have the perfect life. She has a high-powered job in sports PR, and gets to fly all over the country for sports shows, working with athletes and the media. She has two great friends, lives in San Francisco, and had a wealthy fiancé. Notice that last phrase, she "had" a wealthy fiancé, but he dumped her shortly before the wedding. And, Waverly didn't have the guts to tell anyone she'd been dumped. What's even worse, she's back in the singles scene at the age of twenty-nine. Together with her friends, McKenna and Andie, she can laugh at one disastrous date after another. But, secretly, she's writing ironic "Honey Notes" to express her feelings about the single life. Because if Waverly can't drink away her frustrations, or laugh about them, she might just cry.

Honestly? I thought I was through with books about single women and their frustrations with their dates, women who had glamorous lives, and drank too much. But, Waverly Bryson and her friends are just too much fun. Without McKenna and Andie, Waverly might just come across as obnoxious. But, those two women keep her grounded, and laugh at her. Since Waverly can ruefully laugh at herself, doing it through her "Honey Notes," she becomes a character to root for. I wanted Waverly to find happiness, somehow, in her life.

Maria Murnane's Perfect on Paper is a fun book with an enjoyable group of women. Check out the book for Waverly and her friends, or just check it out for those charming "Honey Notes." "Ever feel like you don't know anything at all? Honey, congratulations. At least you finally know that."

Maria Murnane's website is www.mariamurnane.com

Perfect on Paper: The Mis(Adventures) of Waverly Bryson by Maria Murnane. AmazonEncore, 2010. ISBN 9780982555040 (paperback), 320p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publicist for this book sent me the review copy, hoping I would review the book.

10 comments:

Mary said...

Lesa, nice review. I read it last year and thought it was cute, fun and a good read.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Mary. It's interesting that it's being pushed again, as a book that was missed the first time.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

It sounds like a fresh take on an old theme! Fun!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

It was a fresh take, Elizabeth. And, I thought I couldn't handle any more of these books.

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like a great book! I've had it for a while - it sounds like I need to dig it out and read it.

Lesa said...

It is a fun book, Kathy. Dig. That just shows the size of our TBR piles, when we have to dig for books, doesn't it?

Bonnie said...

I love the bright colors on this cover. It sounds like a fun read and I'll have to add it to my wishlist.

Lesa said...

Bonnie,

It is a fun book. I enjoyed it enough that I'm sending it on to my sister. There's a recommendation for you - good enough to share with family!

MariaM said...

Hi Lesa- thanks for the great review of my book. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

-Maria Murnane
www.mariamurnane.com

Lesa said...

Hi Maria,

It was fun, and I'm giving your book the ultimate compliment. I'm sending it on to my sister. Good luck with it, Maria.