Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Recap - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

I never actually reviewed Suzanne Collins' Mockingjay here, although I reviewed the earlier books in the trilogy, The Hunger Games and Catching Fire.  At the time I read it, I had flown home, and left the book for my nephews.

So, here's a quick summary of the final volume in the best young adult series I've read in years.  In a future North American, Katniss Everdeen and a friend from District 12, Peeta Melerk, have twice survived the Hunger Games, a televised competition that pits young people from each district against each other.  However, each time Katniss survived, she found herself at odds with the people in power in the capitol, while she was viewed as heroine by the people in the districts in the country of Panem.   Now, in Mockingjay, Katniss must decide if she'll accept the responsibility of becoming the symbol of the rebellion, a rebellion that will change the course of Panem.

When I turned this book over to my nephews, I left it with young men who were seventeen and twenty-five.  And, they each had friends who wanted to read it.  Collins' series, as I said earlier, is one of the most riveting, original series I've read in years.  I know other adults who have read and loved it.  But, I also know this series was popular with young men who like to read exciting fantasy books.  You might want to consider this series as a last minute gift.

Suzanne Collins' website is www.suzannecollinsbooks.com

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.  Scholastic, Inc., ©2010. ISBN 9780439023511 (hardcover), 390p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - I bought my copy of the book.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

My son loved this whole series!~ He's 13, so it's great for a wide variety of ages...my book club even chose "Hunger Games" for its pick one month. :)

Lesa said...

So, what did your book club think of The Hunger Games, Elizabeth?

Sharon said...

I have wondered about this series for awhile, wondered if adults would enjoy it as well. Sounds like I should look into getting the books!

Jody said...

My grandson's birthday is next month when he turns 18. I'm planning on giving him the trilogy. He loved all Rick Riordan's Percy books. I hope he'll love these too.
Adults do enjoy these books. Because the K-State Book Network (http://www.k-state.edu/ksbn/about.html)chose The Hunger Games for the incoming freshmen this past fall, many of us who work at the library read all of the trilogy.

Lesa said...

Sharon,

I know a number of adults who loved this series, so I hope you try it!

Lesa said...

Jody,

I'm so glad you had a chance to read it with others at the library. I tried to get into your website, but it didn't come up. What k-state is this? I went to Kent State, but that could be Kansas or something else. My nephews liked it, so hopefully your grandson will, too.

Robin Hillyer Miles said...

I've read all three and passed The Hunger Games on to numerous friends. It's the kind of book you carry around reading as you cook, clean, go potty all the while devouring the words.

I will admit I had to read the last two chapters of Mockingjay twice to be sure I "got" it. I've had younger readers tell me they didn't like the ending but when I told them to read the last few chapters again they've come back and said, "Oh, I understand now, cool."

Lesa said...

Robin, isn't it a treat to find a book that is that addicting? They're few and far between. You're right, and so are the readers who say, "cool." Great books.