Friday, December 31, 2010

A Toast to 2010 and 2011

2010 was not an easy year in our library system.  We had too many losses - beginning with the loss of staff due to cutbacks, followed by the loss of hours, cutting our hours open to the public almost in half.  But, our greatest losses were personal.  My husband, Jim, died on February 15.  Another manager lost her father.  One of our librarians lost her mother.  A number of friends suffered from the loss of beloved pets.  And, one of my staff members has had a terrible last few months personally, including a tragic loss.  So, that's a bittersweet toast to 2010.  We're all ready to move on, with hope.

I'm looking forward to 2011 with hope.  I have plans to attend Left Coast Crime in Santa Fe in March.   Janet Rudolph, editor of Mystery Readers' Journal, is one of the attendees, and I can't wait to meet her.  And, I've never been to Santa Fe, so I'm going a few days early to see the city.  I'm also planning a couple trips to Ohio in the course of the year, if things work out right.

I'm excited about the authors I've already scheduled for Authors @ The Teague, knowing there will be ones added to the schedule.  Poisoned Pen Bookstore is always a bright spot in my life, and I look forward to enjoyable evenings there.  And Desert Sleuths Chapter of Sisters in Crime.  What can I say about this wonderful group of authors and future authors?  They're fun and interesting, and I'm looking forward to monthly meetings, and casual meetings at the Poisoned Pen. 

I've mentioned before that I worked on a chapter for a reference book.  I'm hoping the new edition of Genreflecting will be out this year.  I wrote the chapter on mysteries.  And, I did a short (very short!) interview for Women's World magazine as part of the January 31 issue.  I was one of the people interviewed for an article about mysteries.  I'll be watching for that.

So many of my hopes and wishes for 2011 revolve around books and friends.  I want to continue to read wonderful blogs by friends such as Jen Forbus at Jen's Book Thoughts, and Kaye Barley at Meanderings and Muses.  I hope to read what authors, publishers, and friends are doing on Twitter (www.twitter.com/LesaHolstine).  And, I know there are terrific books coming out in 2011, since I already have stacks of them in my closet.

So, for 2011, I wish you a year filled with good books and good reading.  And, for all of us, I hope it's a peaceful year, less stressful, with fewer losses in our life.  We're going to miss all the loved ones we lost, family members, friends, and wonderful authors.  But, I'm hopeful that 2011 will bring happiness, the love of family and friends, and, of course, stacks of good books, and the time to enjoy them.

So, here's to 2011, with hope.

26 comments:

Kerrie said...

All the best for 2011 Lesa

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kerrie. And, to you. Happy New Year.

Kaye said...

Lesa, 2010 has been a challenge for many. I hope 2011 is a softer, kinder year for you. Your blog has certainly been a bright spot for so many of us. Thank you for doing what you do!

Kaye Barley said...

Lesa, I'd like to just echo what Kaye said so perfectly.
And lift my virtual glass to a virtual toast to you, my friend.
Hugs!
Kaye (the other one)

(p.s. - LOVE LOVE LOVE this "Welcome 2011" graphic and thinking about borrowing/stealing it from you, O.K.??)

kathy d. said...

Yes, I echo the champagne toast and the thanks to you, Lesa, for brightening our lives with this blog, your reviews, updates on new books, comments on life, photos of your lovely family (including that cute goat), and, of course, the Holstine cat family.

I really cannot wait for you to go to Santa Fe and have a great time, but also so we can read your report back on the trip and the conference. (My aunt had friends there and that was her favorite city to visit.) It is beautiful and historic.

The Desert Sleuths sound fantastic. Wish they and Poisoned Pen were closed to the Big Apple, but will have to settle for reports.

Hope you have a good 2011 in all ways.

Best,
Kathy D.

Kay said...

Absolutely! I echo each and every wish you listed here. I've been ready for 2010 to come to a close as well and I just know that 2011 will be a great year - regardless! LOL

P.S. I think we may be going to squeeze in a trip to your town next month. We're still planning, but I'll let you know. I didn't think we would be able to, but golf in AZ calls to my hubbie - and the Poisoned Pen is calling me! And...I'm going to post a life update on my blog tomorrow so be sure to stop by.

You're becoming a celebrity Lesa. Interviews in Woman's World indeed!!

Lesa said...

Kaye,

What a nice way to refer to it as a "Softer, kinder year." It has been a challenge to so many people. I'm going to wish a softer, kinder year to everyone. Thank you, Kaye!

Lesa said...

Kaye,

I searched all over to find a graphic I liked, so feel free to use it! It's a little different than most of the fireworks, New Year's baby, etc. Thank you for your wishes. You, too, had a challenging year. I hope you also have a year that's kinder to you.

Hugs, my friend!
Lesa

Lesa said...

Kathy,

What beautiful comments about my blog. Thank you! I'm planning to go back to Ohio early in June. Hope to see Fred, the goat, then.

I'm looking forward to that trip to Santa Fe, too. I'll try to write good reports!

Lesa said...

Kay!

I'm not going anywhere in January or February, so we'll definitely have to get together. There was one day I was planning to go to the PP the last Sat in Jan., but my cousin's daughter is skating in the U.S. Skating Championships that day, and it's on TV. Have to watch family! But, if that's the day you're here, I'll tape it. I hope we get the chance to get together while you're here. So glad your husband likes golf!

It will just be a small piece in Woman's World. I'd love to know how they got my name.

Juliet Blackwell said...

I hope 2011 is a wonderful year full of joy, health, and happiness. I knew of your own hard year, but to hear about everyone at the library...my heart goes out to you all. You handle so much, with such grace, and do so much for so many. Lots of love and best wishes for the New Year,
Julie

Lesa said...

Thank you, Julie. It hasn't been an easy year, but we all pitch in and support each other. Staff at all three libraries helped me, and, during this last week, when one of my staff was going through a terrible loss, I had offers of assistance from other librarians in the system. We all pull together. It's the people that make the Glendale Library System special.


Those wishes are all returned, Julie. I hope it's a great year for you, with love, happiness, and successful books! Thank you!

Patg said...

You do a great job, Lesa. Keep it up. Hope to see you in Santa Fe. I've never been there either, but believe it will be one of those memorable cities. I like collecting favorites.
Patg
www.patgulley.com
www.facebook.com/downsizedtodeath

Lesa said...

I understand Left Coast Crime is a little smaller conference, Pat, so hopefully we'll run into each other. I've seen most places in this country that I want to see, but Santa Fe has been on my "Must See" list for a number of years.

Thanks, Pat! Hope to see you then.

Bev Stephans said...

A very Happy New Year to you Lesa and all of the people who comment here. Even though I've never met any of you, I feel like I know you.

I plan to read lots of books and hope none of them have to be thrown up against the wall or DNF'S. LOL!

Lesa said...

Happy New Year, Bev! Oh, that's a good plan. I haven't thrown a book against the wall since a biology book in college, but I have plenty of DNF's.

Isn't it great? I've only met a few of the people who comment here regularly, Kay in Austin, and Jen, but reading makes everyone seem to be friends.

Have a safe New Year!

kathy d. said...

And cheers to the librarians in the Glendale Library System, and to librarians everywhere--who really do contribute to readers' lives, and to children's education and learning to appreciate books.

Janet Rudolph said...

Softer, kinder year, indeed. Wishing you and everyone the best for 2011. Can't wait to meet you in Santa Fe! Loving your blog..and you... and all you do for the bookworld.

Lesa said...

Thank you, so much, Kathy. I appreciate the toast to the librarians here, and everywhere. It was a difficult year for libraries. Let's hope 2011 starts to look a little better.

Lesa said...

Janet,

You don't know how much it means to me every time you say you love my blog. I love being a "Book Pusher." Nothing I enjoy more. I wish you all good things in 2011.

Ingrid King said...

I don't think I've seen a nice New Year's wish than yours: "a peaceful year, less stressful, with fewer losses." A year with hope. May 2011 bring all that for you, and more, Lesa.

I already know it's going to be a year of great reading because of all the books I'll discover through your wonderful blog.

Lesa said...

Ingrid, I truly hope you have that kind of year. Thank you. I've seen so many beautiful wishes that I'm glad you liked that one. Thank you for your wishes.

You just made my day, Ingrid, when you said you're going to discover books through my blog. I hope so!

Susan said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. This year must have been challenging, indeed. Here's to a brighter 2011!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Susan. I have the feeling 2011 will be better. I hope you have a beautiful 2011.

Kris said...

Here's hoping that 2011 will be a much better year for you and all those you know who lost loved ones.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kris. And, I hope 2011 is very kind to you and your family.