Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Brown Bag Luncheon

Today is my favorite day of the month! It's the day I do a book talk for the library staff. So, here are the books I'm going to talk about today.  (You saw them before the staff.) 

Allbritten, Esri – Chihuahua of the Baskervilles - Tripping Magazine, devoted to travel stories for believers in the paranormal, sends a team to Manitou Springs to check out the appearance of the ghost of a Chihuahua.

Bass, Elizabeth – Wherever Grace is Needed -  Grace Oliver goes to Austin, TX to help her father after a fall, only to find the neighbors need her assistance as well.

Blackwell, Juliet – Hexes and Hemlines - San Francisco witch Lily Ivory is asked by the police to give her opinion on a strange death, when the man is surrounded by items of superstition.

Dewey, Laurel – Revelations - Sgt. Det. Jane Perry finds the entire town of Midas, Colorado to be odd when she arrives on the case of a missing fifteen-year-old boy whose family doesn’t seem concerned.

Fairstein, Linda – Silent Mercy - Manhattan Assistant DA Alexandra Cooper investigates murders at churches.

Gustainis, Justin – Hard Spell – In Scranton, PA, a member of the Occult Crimes Unit Investigation has to deal with a valuable stolen item and deaths of a number of vampires.

Hearne, Kevin – Hounded - Introduces Atticus O’Sullivan, an ancient Druid living in Tempe with his Irish Wolfhound, Oberon, as they battle figures from mythology in the first in The Iron Druid Chronicles.

Hyzy, Julie – Grace Interrupted - Grace Wheaton deals with the death of an actor during a Civil War reenactment, when the groundskeeper at Marshfield Manor is the suspect.

Macomber, Debbie – A Turn in the Road -Three generations of women in a family hit the road, driving from Washington to Florida, looking for answers to questions in their lives.

Ozma, Alice – The Reading Promise - The story of the relationship of Alice and her librarian father, as she grows up with her father reading to her nightly.

Richards, Emilie – Sunset Bridge - Five women who live in a group of cottages in Florida find their friendship gets them tough times.

Scalzi, John – Fuzzy Nation - Humorous science fiction of an independent contractor who discovers a valuable substance, and an unknown species, on the planet Zarathustra.

Slaughter, Karin – Fallen - When a GBI Agent finds her mother’s door open, a bloody handprint, and her mother, an ex-cop, missing, the GBI and local police team up to investigate.

Stewart, Mariah – Almost Home - Can the owner of an ice cream parlor trust the man she always loved, when he returns to St. Dennis with a little boy?

Watson, S.J. – Before I Go to Sleep - Psychological thriller in which a woman wakes up every morning, not knowing who she is, or who the man beside her is.

Weiss, Jan Merete – These Dark Things - While Captain Natalia Monte investigates the murder of a young woman whose body is found in the catacombs of Naples, the crime families go to war over garbage contracts.

Zuckoff, Mitchell – Lost in Shangri-La - True story of a crash, survival, and rescue in the waning years of WWII.

14 comments:

Katherine Van Leeuwen, Assistant Library Director said...

Just wondering Lesa, if you've read all the books for your book talk, or if some are on suggestions of others. My first book talk will be next month, and I'm hoping to get a lot of reading done in the next few weeks.

Nancy Naigle said...

What a wonderful list of books. Something for everyone here. I know they'll enjoy this session.

I just added a couple titles to my list that I hadn't run across before.
Hugs and happy reading,
Nancy Naigle

Lesa said...

Katherine, I have read all of the books I'm suggesting. That's why I only do the brown bag luncheon quarterly. I need to get 15 books to talk about. For the library system, we hold these luncheons monthly. The other months, everyone brings a book to talk about. I used to just do them quarterly, and everyone enjoyed them so much we changed the format, and they bring books, too.

I also do one quarterly for the public. It's a small group, but enthusiastic and fun.

Good luck, Katherine! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Nancy. I do try to vary the book selections. Glad you found some new titles!

Liz V. said...

Read Zuckoff's Lost in Shangri-La and appreciated the fortitude of the survivors and daring of their rescuers. I could not shake off, however, an underlying irritation with joyriding in the midst of WWII, just as I am conflicted about expending energy, and sometimes lives, retrieving people from the Himalayas or other such sites. Perhaps that's why I so enjoy fiction. Of your choices, I can endorse Hyzy and Richards.

Juliet Blackwell said...

I wish I could be there! Why can't you be located here in Oakland? On the other hand, if you were, I wouldn't get anything done ;-)

Beth Hoffman said...

Oooo, you have some interesting titles there, Lesa! I'm curious about many of them.

I hope your day is lovely. Hugs to you and the furbabies!

Anonymous said...

Lesa,
Justin has written three books featuring Quincey Morris, a supernatural investigator and Libby Chastain, a white witch. I really like them. Is this part of that series?
FWIW
Viccy Kemp

Lesa said...

I agree, Liz. There was that issue that they were out joyriding. Even so, I found it fascinating to read about their survival, the villagers, and the rescue attempt.

Lesa said...

Well, is there a good job for me in Oakland, Juliet? It needs to be Readers' Advisory, bringing in authors, and pay enough to live on in California. (hah!)

Lesa said...

Thanks, Beth. It's always lovely when I get to do the Brown Bag Luncheon!

Hugs back!

Lesa said...

No, Viccy. This book launches a whole new series for Justin. Hope you give it a try!

bookdout said...

What a fabulous selection of title!

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out
www.bookdout.wordpress.com

Lesa said...

Thanks, Shelley. I try to have some variety in the list.