Monday, February 20, 2012

Blank Jounals

I never intended to show the three blank books I bought at Barnes & Noble the other day. Then, a friend asked me on Facebook if I was going to review them on my blog. I know she was kidding. But, why not? So many of us love blank books. I had a hard time stopping with just three. There were some gorgeous ones there, but I just bought the few I needed.

The first one is rather plain, but it has one special feature many others lack. It lies flat. I take copious notes at all the author events I attend, either at Authors @ The Teague or at the Poisoned Pen. It's so much easier to take notes when I'm not fighting with the book. I've almost finished my current book that holds the recaps of author events. It was time to find a new one. This one is going to work perfectly.


What can I say about the second one? I just loved it. I liked the words on the front, "Inspire, Dream, Hope, Beliee, Imagine, Create." I like the magnetic closure. Pages are lined with faint outlines of flowers. This one just makes me feel good. I have no idea what I'm going to use it for, but it will find its purpose.

Don't you love this third one? Maybe I liked it because I was going to see Wicked. Of course, I always liked The Wizard of Oz, and it has personal connections with my college roommate. Maybe it was just the vivid colors on the cover.



When I opened it, I found faint illustrations of the witch on every page.

It's just fun. And, this one will eventually become my new journal for the listing of the books I've read. I have years of those accounts, with short annotations about each book. This one is perfect.

I just love blank books or journals, in the same way I enjoy photos of doors. There's magic and possibility there.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you reviewed the blank books! I love the Wizard of Oz one--will have to make a quick trip to B&N to get one for myself. What a fun book to write in!

rosemary said...

I love these Lesa - I haven't seen any of them here in the UK. My daughter Madeleine and I are both notebook addicts; we can spend almost as long admiring them in Paperchase as we do coveting books in Blackwells. I like your view that each book will find its purpose - we have to hide our acquisitions to avoid being asked "what on earth do you want another one of those for?'.

I also keep a list of all the books I have read, but it will never be half as along as yours.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I have recently gotten an obsession with blank books and moleskins! My mother gave me several for Christmas and I quickly filled them up and have been on the lookout for more. Thanks for the review on these!

Lesa said...

Oh, I'm so glad you all enjoyed the commentary on the blank books. I never would have done it if a friend hadn't asked.

Melanie said...

Thanks for sharing your blank books. I have been using Moleskin for the last several years. I love how they function, but they are boring black. I just checked my pile of notebooks that I keep my list of books read - here at the office, I have them goining back to 2004, but I know I have more at home.

Lesa said...

I don't like boring, Melanie. I use a plain black appointment book, but for the books that mean something to me, I prefer something interesting.

Jane R said...

I love blank notebooks. I find so many uses for them. The Wizard of Oz is so unique. It has special meaning to me as well and the shadow of the witch on each page is awesome! I may have to add it to my growing collection.

Lesa said...

Isn't that a great notebook, Jane? I'm really happy with that one.

Karen C said...

I love blank notebooks, too. I bought 3-4 when Borders was going out of business.

Lesa said...

I never got over to Borders when they were going out of business. Darn! Missed some good blank books, I'm sure, Karen.

Inside A Book said...

What a delightful review - practical and functional!! (...al?! --ala Wicked!)I adore journals and all their possibilities.

I am excited to go see Wicked as well...can I find that darn journal at Barnes and Noble?? I'm off to get one tomorrow. One for me, one for a friend, another for me. Oooh. My little pretties....

Lesa said...

Oh, me, too! Now, I need to know if you found that journal at your Barnes & Noble. I love your comments! "My little pretties..."

Daisy said...

Bankruptcy records
Bankruptcylive.com is choice of thousands searching for bankruptcy records. Tired of searching free records - come to to order and receive yourbankruptcy records you will amazed.