Wednesday, February 22, 2012

One Book in the Grave by Kate Carlisle

One Book in the Grave, the latest best seller in Kate Carlisle’s Bibliophile mystery series, spins off the restoration of one of my favorite fairy tales, Beauty and the Beast. But, who actually is the beauty, and who is the beast in this intriguing story?

Bookbinder Brooklyn Wainwright is always pleased with a commission from the Covington Library in San Francisco. But, this time, she is reluctant to take on the task, knowing the copy of Beauty and the Beast she’s asked to restore was stolen from a friend. Shortly before Max Adams’ tragic death three years earlier, Brooklyn had given the book to Max and his fiancée, Emily, at their engagement party. Immediately after Max’ death, Emily’s apartment was broken into, and the book was stolen. Brooklyn can’t resist a puzzle, though, and she heads to the book dealer who sold the book to the Covington Library.  Once again, Brooklyn is the person who finds a murder victim. The book dealer has been killed, Brooklyn’s tire is slashed, and all the clues point to Max Adams.

It doesn’t take long for Brooklyn to gather allies in her search for answers. Her boyfriend, Derek Stone, of Stone Security, shows up, along with the mysterious, sexy Gabriel (think Ranger in the Stephanie Plum books). And, Brooklyn and SFPD Detective Inspector Janice Lee finally admit to a friendship after Lee calls Brooklyn, “My favorite dead-body magnet.” The search for answers will lead into the past to the Sonoma Institute of the Arts where Max once taught. And, the search takes Brooklyn, Derek and Gabriel to Dharma, the commune where Brooklyn and Max grew up, where they are shocked to learn their assumptions are all wrong.

Carlisle’s mystery is filled with wonderful characters, from Brooklyn and her delightful family, to the sexy men involved in the case. There’s also an interesting assortment of villains, including Brooklyn’s archenemy, Minka LaBoeuf, two controlling faculty members at the art institute, and a group of survivalists. And, Brooklyn is my favorite type of amateur sleuth, one who calls the police, and calls for help, instead of trying to take on a killer on her own.

Oh, and the beauty and the beast? Max and Emily? The pair of suspects from the art institute? In my favorite version of the story, the beast is hunted by the villagers and the villain. And, someone made a point of making Max' life miserable. Once Brooklyn is involved in the case, she's the recipient of unwanted gifts as someone continues to follow and find her.  It's up to the readers to put their own spin on the definition of Beauty and the Beast.

Kate Carlisle mixes the book world and eccentric California residents with a little romance and humor in One Book in the Grave.  Once you’ve been introduced to Brooklyn Wainwright, her friends and family, you’ll understand why the Bibliophile mysteries continue to attract readers and hit the best seller lists.

Kate Carlisle’s website is www.katecarlisle.com

One Book in the Grave by Kate Carlisle. Obsidian. ©9780451236128 (paperback), 291p.


FTC Full Disclosure – The publisher sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.

14 comments:

Miranda James said...

I love this series! Kate is a very funny lady in person, too, so if you ever have a chance to attend an event with her, do. She's a lot of fun.

SandyG265 said...

Actually I just finished reading One Book in the Grave and enjoyed it.

Lesa said...

I'm moderating a panel with Kate, Earlene Fowler & Avery Aames at Tucson's Festival of the Book next month. Should be fun, Miranda.

Lesa said...

Glad you liked it, Sandy. Thanks for telling readers that as well.

Kate Carlisle said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful review, Lesa! Can't wait to see you next month so I can thank you in person. :)

Kate Carlisle said...

Miranda, that is quite a compliment, coming from the BESTSELLING author of File M for Murder! Everyone, if you haven't read File M for Murder yet, be sure to check it out! Fab-u-lous!

Kate Carlisle said...

Thank you so much, Sandy! I'm so happy to hear that. I'd love for you to join my mailing list so I can send you an email when PERIL IN PAPERBACK is released in August. If you do, you'll be entered in my current contest. I'm giving away two 513-piece jigsaw puzzles featuring the beautiful cover of ONE BOOK IN THE GRAVE.

Sign up for my mailing list here: KateCarlisle.com

Lesa said...

Looking forward to it as well, Kate. And, I should have questions and information for all of you sometime this weekend. Thank you!

Ricky Bush said...

Reckon that I'm going to have to get a hold of the preceding Bibliophile series books. You've got me interested here, Lesa.

Jane R said...

I really enjoy this series. I'm still catching up, but glad to hear yet another book has been published. I'd better get busy! Thanks for the great post!

Karen C said...

Oh, dear - another to add to the TBR!

Lesa said...

Fabulous, Ricky! I'm glad I caught your attention. And, there will be another in the series, Jane. Unfortunately, Karen, that's another one for you, too.

Rosemary said...

Lesa, this sounds very good, I will look out for Kate's books, and I have joined the email list. Like Karen, my TBR list is taking on a life of its own.

Lesa said...

Join the club, Rosemary! That's my problem as well. My TBR pile is out of control! I have so many March titles that I have no room left on my March schedule until the end of the month.