Saturday, March 31, 2012

Road Trip with Mom

I'm on vacation this week, enjoying my mother's visit.

Mom & I are back home after a trip to San Diego and back to visit a friend. Great road trip, six hours there on Thursday, and six hours back on Friday.

Stopped at the McDonald's in Gila Bend on the way there and back that must be just about the busiest McDonald's in the country. Perfect location at the intersection of two major routes. We took turns going in, so I took pictures outside while I waited for Mom. I told her they were road trip pictures.



This isn't the best picture of the sand dunes west of Yuma, but they were interesting to see. Even before getting to them, and knowing they were the dunes, we could see the color of the landscape change. Then, when we were across from them, we could see the dune buggies gong up and down.



The best part of the trip, of course, was seeing Nancy, and her daughter, Mary, and son, Colin. Nancy was the very first person to see me after I was born, except for my parents, so she's known me longer than anyone in my whole life, except my mother. I always love visiting with her. She tells stories I never knew about my father, and stories about me when I was little. And, I know I hadn't seen Mary and Colin in over forty-five years. Even so, it felt as if Mary and I had seen each other just last week. She and Nancy gave us a driving tour of San Diego. Then we headed off to meet Colin for dinner.

We met Colin at The Grande Del Mar, a gorgeous resort hotel.



And, dinner was at Amaya, one of the two restaurants in the hotel. 



It was a perfect evening with friends we hadn't seen in years. No, we didn't stay at the Grande Del Mar. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express with a terrific breakfast Friday morning before we headed home.

Our road trip was everything I wanted, time to spend with Mom, a fun trip, and a visit with Nancy. The added bonus was the chance to visit with Mary and Colin. Perfect trip.

11 comments:

Nancy said...

You packed a lot into that two day vacation. It all sounds lovely. What an elegant hotel! Those times with your mother are so precious.

Kay said...

What nice shots, Lesa! Glad you and your Mom got to take the little trip together. We've visited San Diego only once, but we had such a good time.

mom said...

Yes, it was a great trip and a lot of good conversation on the road trip and with good friends. Thanks, Lesa, for a good time.

Lesa said...

It was a great trip. Just what we hoped the trip would be. You're welcome, Mom. Great company on the road. I'll take a road trip with you anytime. It doesn't have to be every 25-26 years.

Pat R. said...

Sounds like a wonderful time and a trip to be remembered.

bermudaonion said...

How fun! My parents met in San Diego and I've been trying to talk my mother into taking a trip out there but, so far, I haven't been able to.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Pat & Kathy. It was a wonderful trip. She wouldn't recognize San Diego, Kathy. I'm sure the city has changed so much since then.

Karen C said...

Tickled that you and your Mom had a wonderful trip. That hotel is gorgeous - bet dinner was superb!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Karen. We did have a wonderful trip, and we're having a good time together. Dinner was good, and the hotel was beautiful.

Les said...

What fun! I love road trips and this sounds like it was exceptionally fun. I enjoyed seeing your pictures of the Grande Del Mar, as I used to live in Del Mar. Yes, San Diego has changed quite a bit! I was there from 1972 to 1992. The Grande Del Mar did not exist (nor did the Ted Williams Freeway, for that matter). I lived just east of the resort off of Del Mar Mesa Road, which used to be a dirt/gravel switchback road up to the top of the mesa. There were only a dozen or so houses up there and they were all very modest. Not at all like what has been built over that past decade! Fun to see how things have changed, though. Thanks, Lesa!

Lesa said...

I love your lengthy, informative comments, Les. Thanks for taking the time to write and tell me how San Diego has changed. It sounds like it has totally changed!