Monday, March 05, 2012

Sharon Pape, Guest Blogger

Or really, I should say the guest blogger today is Sharon Pape's character, a federal marshal from the Arizona Territory, Ezekial Drummond. It's a pleasure to welcome both of them today. Sharon is the author of the Portrait of Crime mystery series. Zeke is introduced in Sketch Me If You Can. The next two books in the series are To Sketch a Thief and Fetch a Falling Star. It's a pleasure to welcome Sharon and Zeke today. I can honestly say this is one of my favorite guest posts. I wouldn't like about a federal marshal.




*****

            Howdy and a tip of my hat to Lesa Holstine  for graciously invitin’ me over to speak to you good folks today.  I’m Ezekiel Drummond, federal marshal for the Arizona Territory. You can call me Zeke if that suits you better. That’s what Rory calls me unless she’s gone and built up a head of steam over somethin’ I’ve said or done. At times like that she tends to use my full name, though I don’t rightly see what that accomplishes.
            I imagine about now you’re scratchin’ your head and thinkin’ that I’m plain crazy, because Arizona’s been a state for a hundred years. Well that brings me to my present situation. You see, I’ve been dead since 1878. In fact if you care to visit the Old Burial Hill here in Huntington, New York you can find my grave marker with the date of my demise etched plainly in the stone.
            I was on the trail of a fugitive when I was shot in the back in the house that Rory McCain now owns. I guess we’re sort of housemates and for the most part we get on okay. When we first met she had a hard time acceptin’ my existence in general and my presence in her home in particular. Once she got past that hurdle she tried to persuade me to follow the light. I made it real clear I wasn’t goin’ anywhere till I knew the name of the coward who cut me down. Truth be told there’s a lot more to it, but she doesn’t need to know that just yet. I’d be much obliged if we could keep that fact between us for now.
            At the time Rory moved in with me she was a sketch artist for the county police. These days she’s what you folks call a “private investigator.” We even have ourselves a partnership – “Drummond and McCain.” I help her solve her cases, and in return she’s tryin’ to figure out who pulled the trigger that ended my life. I know it’s not an easy undertakin’, since no one from back then is alive today. Sometimes I suspect she's only tryin' to help me so she can bid me a fond farewell. Of course “fond” isn’t always the best way to describe our relationship. I must admit I do enjoy vexin’ her whenever possible.  
            Rory’s a spunky, little gal – too spunky by half if you ask me. She’s goin’ to get herself killed if she’s not more careful, and that’s not likely to help either one of us. In my time a woman’s place was in the home. I believe life worked better that way. When I say things like that to Rory, she calls me a Neanderthal and some other things that don’t bear repeatin’. Maybe she’s right, ‘cause I don’t understand how the world came to be as upside down as it is today.
            In spite of our differences, Rory and I were managin’ just fine until she took on that dognappin’ case last year and ended up adoptin' Hobo after his owner was murdered. Now don’t get me wrong. I had nothing against dogs when I was alive. I had my fair share of them as a boy, and they were more loyal than most of my friends. But ever since I cashed in my flesh and bones, dogs and I don’t get along. I imagine it has something to do with my lack of a cor-po-re-al body. Bet you never figured me to know a word like that. Anyhow, Hobo and I eventually came to an accommodation, and I daresay I've developed a real affection for the big, hairy mutt
            Things around here were finally settlin' down some, when an elderly lady by the name of Eloise moved in down the block. Her family thinks the stroke she suffered left her daft, and that may be. But Rory and I know darned well that the stroke also left her with some impressive psychic abilities. I prefer to keep my distance from Miss Eloise, because she seems to know far too much about me and my past. But she keeps showin' up on our doorstep and Rory keeps lettin' her in. You'd think the girl had enough on her  plate with our newest case. Speakin' of which-- ever hear of murder by flash flood? Well neither did we up till now. The deeper we dig into this case, the more it seems that's exactly what happened to one very unlikeable fellow. All in all there's so much goin' on around here a ghost can hardly get any rest. Not that I'm complainin' mind you. Given the choice between rattlin' around here by my lonesome or bein' with Rory, I'll take Rory every time. Now I'd best get back to business. Thanks again for the hospitality, Lesa. I'll be seein' you.

*****
Ah, Zeke. You can show up here anytime. (I've fallen for this federal marshal. Too bad he's a ghost.)

Sharon Pape's website is www.sharonpape.com 
Sketch Me If You Can by Sharon Pape. Berkley Prime Crime. ©2010. ISBN 9780425236048  (paperback), 293p.
To Sketch a Thief by Sharon Pape. Berkley Prime Crime. 2011. ISBN 9780425241929 (paperback), 293p.
Sketch a Falling Star by Sharon Pape. Berkley Prime Crime. 2012. ISBN 9780425246696 (paperback), 293p.

10 comments:

Liz said...

Glad to know about Sketch a Falling Star, as I've enjoyed this series.

Lesa said...

Terrific series, Liz. I hope you get a chance to pick this one up.

Janet said...

This is one I've been looking forward to reading. I'll pick up Wednesday. But I'm very jealous that you are reading the new Brad Parks which I can't get until next week.

Lesa said...

I'm sorry, Janet. But, Brad's supposed to be a guest blogger here on Friday, so I wanted to read his book now.

Clea Simon said...

This sounds like a fun series, Sharon and Lesa. Thanks for letting us know about it!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Clea. It is fun!

Karen C said...

I'm so glad that Zeke visited. He just struck my fancy and the series is now on my list. Thanks.

Lesa said...

I'm glad Zeke visited, too, Karen. I think you're going to like him.

review said...

now i'm interested in her books

Nancy said...

I have seen the site lists from this http://guestpostblog.weebly.com/ which allow guest blog author in it. Within that quick response and I got benefits shortly. You can also benefit by visit that link as mentioned above.