Monday, July 23, 2012

Baby Shark's Showdown at Chigger Flats by Robert Fate

It's been three years, much too long, since the last time Kristin Van Dijk, Baby Shark, cleaned up the streets of Texas. Now, she's back, in Robert Fate's e-book, Baby Shark's Showdown at Chigger Flats. She's a little older, a little more streetwise, and just as determined to fight for justice. I've always cheered for Baby Shark, and this time, there's more reasons to cheer, as Baby Shark gets her men.

It's May 1960 in Fort Worth, Texas, when Baby Shark witnesses an ambush about to happen, and rescues her partner, Otis Millett. The story starts with a bang when a few guys with shotguns went after the P.I., but Baby Shark saw them coming. "Three dead and me wounded and no idea who, what or why. But, like Otis said, we'd sort it out." And, they sorted it out to discovered that Walter Fairchild had broken out of prison, and he swore to get everyone who put him there, including Otis, who was a Dallas police officer in 1949 when he arrested Fairchild. Now, all the Fairchild gang is out to get Otis, but the pair are smart enough to see them coming. One night, though, Baby Shark is in a pool tournament when Otis disappears, kidnapped. And, nothing is going to keep Baby Shark from getting her partner back. She teams up with Henry Chin and a woman who loves Otis to fight their way through the Fairchild clan looking for Otis. And, if she has to add a handsome Deputy U.S. Marshall to her team, she will.

Readers who haven't met Baby Shark before need to know where she comes from. She tells her stories, beginning with 1952.  "That was the winter Henry Chin lost his son and I lost my father to some rampaging thugs. They thought they'd left Henry and me dead in a burning building, but we survived. We survived, became family and took revenge. A homeless, seventeen-year-old orphan girl, an immigrant Chinese widower, and an ex-police-detective-turned-P.I. named Otis Millett found a way to work together and take back our lives." And, you can bet Baby Shark will find a way to take back her partner as well, if the Fairchilds haven't killed him.

I've said before, if you cheered for the "Rocky" films, you'll love Kristin Van Dijk. She knows she might not live long. But, "I had vowed long ago to never be afraid again, never to be taken advantage of again. Anyone who started it up with me should be ready to fight to the death." Kristin is a tall platinum blond who can handle herself in a fight with guns, knives, or her body as a weapon. She comes as a surprise to so many in west Texas who expect a lady to be a lady in the late 50s and early 60s. Part of the enjoyment in these books comes from observing everyone's astonishment when Baby Shark can take on two or three tough men in a shoot-out. It's been part of the problem with her romance with Lee Pierson, a Dallas police officer. They lived together for three years, but never married. Kristin understood that he upheld the law while she and Otis were more concerned about justice.

Deputy U.S. Marshal Coit Bowden faces Kristin down when she points a gun at him. He's looking to bring Walter Fairchild to justice, but Baby Shark won't let him stand in her way. All she wants is Otis back. It might start out as an uneasy partnership, but the U.S. Marshal and Baby Shark can both handle themselves in a fight.They both live by they're wits; they're loners, and they're perfect for each other.

What can I say? I've been a fan of these violent triumphant novels in which good wins out over evil from day one. I'm a Baby Shark fan. It might have been three years, but the story is just as fast-moving, Baby Shark is just as quick in a fight, and the criminals are just as wicked. And, it's about time Krisin Van Dijk found a man who can match her brains and ability. Welcome back, Baby Shark and Robert Fate. Baby Shark's Showdown at Chigger Flats is one more notch in the belt for a series that deserves to be better known than it is.

Robert Fate's website is www.robertfate.com

Baby Shark's Showdown at Chigger Flats is an Amazon e-book. It can be downloaded at http://tinyurl.com/7sn4xw3

Note: My blog says I will not accept books in e-book format. That hasn't changed. However, I have been a fan of Baby Shark since the first book came out in 2006. Robert Fate Bealmear's publisher went out of business, so he brought this book out as an e-book. I bought my copy for my Kindle so I could read book five in the series. This is an exception. My policy has not changed.


7 comments:

John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janet C said...

I too will always make an exception for Robert Fate's Baby Shark books. I really hope it comes in print someday, but I have purchased the e-book. The characters are grand, the stories great and the writing is wonderful.

Lesa said...

Personally, Janet, I think Poisoned Pen Press should pick up the series, but that's just me.

Janet C said...

They would be a good fit for the books. I hope someone picks the series up. He deserves a good publisher.

Jane R said...

This series is quite a departure from the type of book I normally read. (My first thought was that it reminds me of the "Kill Bill" movie). But, I've really enjoyed many of your recommendations, so I think I'll give this a try. ;o)

Lesa said...

I agree, Janet. They would be a good fit for this series. And, he does deserve a good publisher.

Lesa said...

I never saw Kill Bill, Jane. I can handle violence in a book much better than I can on screen. But, I love this series.