Saturday, August 11, 2012

Brown Bag Luncheon Books

My favorite time of the quarter! Brown bag luncheons. I have two this month. This week, I hosted the one for library patrons. We had a full house. I don't think I could pack one more person in my office. Next week, I host the one for library staff. The list might be slightly different because the library patrons checked everything out. Fantastic! That's what it's all about, letting them know about books they might have missed.

Here's what I shared this week with our patrons.

Pies and Prejudice by Ellery Adams – In a mystery reminiscent of Sarah Addison Allen’s books, Ella Mae LeFaye’s pies have magical effects on people.

Home is a Roof Over a Pig by Aminta Arrington – An American family’s journey to live in China, a family that has 3 young children.

Whiplash River by Lou Berney  – Shake Bouchon left his life of crime behind to open a restaurant in Belize, but crime won’t let Shake alone.

Never Tell by Alafair Burke - NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher thought Julia Whitmire committed suicide, but suspects a group of teens know more than they’re telling.

Wallflower in Bloom by Claire Cook - Deirdre Griffin does everything for her superstar brother and her family, until she quits to take part in Dancing with the Stars.

Paris in Love by Eloisa James -  In 2009, the bestselling author sold her house, took a sabbatical, and moved her family to Paris.

Truth Be Told by Larry King -  Off the record about favorite guests, memorable moments, funniest jokes, and a half century of asking questions.

Jack 1939 by Francine Mathews -  Let’s imagine that Jack Kennedy spent 1939 traveling Europe as a spy for FDR.

Tumbleweeds by Leila Meacham -  Three young friends form a bond they expect to last a lifetime, but an event in their Texas town changes their lives forever.

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer -  What would happen if a character in a book wanted to escape, and his reader wanted to help him?

Calling Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray – What happens when a small group of women with something in common discover they’re invisible to the people around them?

Criminal by Karin Slaughter – In 1974, young women in Atlanta were taken from the streets and brutally murdered. Now, in present-day, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation investigates because the crimes are occurring again.

Dark Magic by James Swain – A group of magicians try to defend New York City against a mysterious attack.

As Always, Jack by Emma Sweeney – Sweeney shares the love letters her pilot father sent her mother at the end of WWII.

Mama Makes Up Her Mind by Bailey White – Essays about White’s life in Georgia and Florida with her eccentric family.

And, a great time was had by all. (Or, at least that's what they told me.)

4 comments:

Carol N Wong said...

This is the only time that I wish I was rich. LOL Those are all so good!!

Jane R said...

What a great list. Several I've read, a couple are already on my book list and now I'm adding even more. Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend!

Karen C said...

I agree - an fantastic list for hours of good reading!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Carol, Jane & Karen! I always love to know that I've added to TBR piles. (grin)