Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Trucker Ghost Stories edited by Annie Wilder

Anyone who grew up with those urban legends of ghosts in the road, or ghostly truck drivers saving other drivers will love Trucker Ghost Stories, edited by Annie Wilder. It's actually subtitled, "And Other True Tales of Haunted Highways, Weird Encounters, and Legends of the Road." It's a terrific collection of stories told by truckers, or about ghostly encounters on the road.

Wilder breaks the collection into four parts: Just Plain Weird, Messages and Assistance from the Spirit World, Haunted Highways: Legends and Lore of the Road, and Time Slips. That first part deals with everything from UFO encounters to skinwalkers in Arizona. My favorite section is part two, Messages and Assistance from the Spirit World. That section relates stories of truckers and other drivers saved by everything from ghostly lights to ghosts of other truckers. Two of those stories were particularly moving. "My Guardian Angel is a Truck Driver" is an unusual story of a Hillsborough County, Florida deputy sheriff who encounters the same truck driver twice in her life. And, Gary M. Vaughn's story, "Babe", actually made me tear up, the story of a truck that passed from one trucker to another, with interesting results.

The stories vary in length and quality. Wilder is shrewd enough to include a foreword by trucker and writer Terry L. Aldershof. He began and ended the book on a high note. Trucker Ghost Stories brings a slightly different viewpoint to ghost stories, an interesting take on the subject. There are enough fascinating stories to make this anthology a worthwhile addition to any ghost story collection.

Annie Wilder's website is www.anniewilder.com

Trucker Ghost Stories ed. by Annie Wilder. Tor. 2012. ISBN 9780765330352 (paperback), 254p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.




11 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I love ghost stories--and I think I'd have to read these with the lights on! Interesting idea for a collection...I'll have to check it out.

Lesa said...

Elizabeth,

It was an interesting collection. And, for some reason, I just think of truckers as being skeptical. I had an uncle who was a trucker, and I just don't see him believing. However, I imagine if you spend all that time on the road, you will come across some unusual things, some that you can't explain.

SandyG265 said...

This sounds like a book I'd enjoy but it probably isn't something my local library will get.

Lesa said...

I will say, though, Sandy, that Tor is the publisher, so it's a big publisher. You could always ask your local library to buy it.

Daniel Stoller said...

No disrespect to anybody but...I just don't see a point to 'scary stories' or 'ghost stories'. Could someone try to explain what's so intriguing about them?

Trisha said...

The guardian angel story sounds good. I'll keep my eye out for this book.

Jane R said...

Reminds me of the old movie starring Dennis Weaver, who is terroized by an unseen truck driver. Creepy, to say the least. This sounds like an interesting collection of stories. I'm going to keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the review!

Karen C said...

This sounds really interesting! I spent the last three months riding with my husband, who is a trucker. Saw some weird things but nothing that could be classified as ghostly. Maybe next time.

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries said...

This sounds like a fun collection! I have an affinity for short story collections and anthologies, because if I start reading before bed and get caught up, I can usually finish without feeling the heat the next morning! :) I will have an eye out for this one.

Lesa said...

Daniel,

It's just my personal opinion, but I think most of us are intrigued by the unknown, and the possibilities. It's a "maybe there is something else" that we can't explain. It's probably like me with my obsession with doors and windows. I buy pictures showing doors, windows, alleyways. It's all the possibilities behind them. Some people like to be scared, so they read them. My favorite ones aren't scary. They're the ones in which someone is helped.

Alex said...

Just finished reading it. If you are a skeptic, read it. If you love stories of the unexplained, you will like it a lot. If you are denier...(aka closed mind) don't bother.